mission statement: To preserve the historic physical heritage of the town of Southeast, New York, and to conduct related restoration, educational and publication activities in connection herewith
Landmarks is supported largely by its members, very generous donors and occasional grants.
The Landmarks Preservation Society of Southeast, Inc. was chartered by the state of New York January 26, 1977. The organization had its beginnings in the Southeast Museum in 1969 as a separate committee called the Landmarks Preservation Committee. The formal separation from the Museum took place in April 1, 1977.
Landmarks is an incorporated not-for-profit membership corporation with the purpose of identifying and preserving landmarks that constitute the historical, architectural or natural heritage of the town of Southeast. To that end, it has sought to further awareness and interest through a variety of programs and publications, including two reprintings of William Pelletreau's definitive 1886 History of Putnam County. The society has placed plaques, with appropriate ceremonies, on a number of local sites and structures, and has prepared applications for others now listed in the National Register of Historical Places. Programs with local schools have been conducted for more than eighteen years.
The society owns and is restoring three landmarks. The 1794 Old Southeast Church on Route 22 is used as an ecumenical center open to visitors upon request to a landmarks officer. Please go to the contacts page for contact information. The church property also contains the Doanesburg Schoolhouse. The Walter Brewster House, c. 1850 in the Greek Revival style, was the residence of the founder of Brewster Village. Today it is Landmarks headquarters. The organization provides a variety of services and activities to its members.
The Walter Brewster House and the Old Southeast Church are available to rent for meetings, weddings, receptions and cocktail parties. Any time you need a beautiful gathering place with a bit of local history, contact Rob Salinger 845 519-0607 at the Landmarks Preservation Society. The charge for renting either the house or the church is $300 per event day. Rental packages are available. Click here to access a printable rental agreement.